i

Friday, May 14, 2010

The past few weeks every time we have had to make a trip into the city the boys and I have been listening to the Audio Drama of The Hiding Place. The story of Corrie Ten Boom, I'm sure most people have heard of her, she was put into a concentration camp during world war 2 for hiding the Jewish people and helping them. As a teen this was one of my favorite books, Corrie's life and testimony is absolutely amazing as she said over and over not because she was good but because God is good. The circumstances she faced are something that I can't even imagine. Anyway, all of this to share, listening to this with my boys has been VERY hard (the things that the Nazi's did to people is beyond sickening and several times in listening I felt ill) However it has also been a very good experience. While I don't believe that the younger two grasped at all what was really happening, my older boys have had a flurry of questions that has lasted several days. I am thankful for the opportunity to discuss with them some very VERY serious topics. The efforts of Hitler and those who followed him still reach into our every day lives.

 I think we would all like to believe that our world has risen above such things, but unfortunately the big topics the driving forces behind Hitler's beliefs are now commonplace among society... One of the things that stands out among those things is abortion and the planned parenthood agenda.  

" Eugenics is “the study and practice of selective breeding applied to humans, with the aim of improving the species.”2 Negative eugenics focused on preventing the birth of those it considered inferior or unfit. This was the foundation of Sanger’s Birth Control Policy and advocated throughout her writings, speeches, and her periodicals including “Pivot of Civilization”, “Plan for Peace” and countless Birth Control Review articles. The pseudo-science (racial hygiene theory) of negative eugenics influenced social policy and eugenics-based legislation (Immigration Act of 19243, segregation laws, sterilization laws) and led to the racial hygiene theory adopted by the Nazis.

“The main objectives of the [proposed] Population Congress is to…apply a stern and rigid policy of sterilization and segregation to that grade of population whose progeny is already tainted, or whose inheritance is such that objectionable traits may be transmitted to offspring.”

– Margaret Sanger, “Plan for Peace”, 1932 Senate hearing5 "



Listening to the Hiding place has opened so many doors to talk with Caleb and Jaden about life, about the true driving forces behind the things like Planned parenthood, things that my boys will be having to go out into the world one day and face. I find it so desperately important to train them, giving them the fullest facts so that one day when they are on their own they can "stand" on their own.

During one of our many discussions we talked about Hitler's "vision" of a completely white race, superior to all others ruling the world. We discussed that he wanted everyone to have blonde hair and blue eyes... One of the boys in a joking manner stated that he would have been safe and lived through the war, we quickly pointed out that their sister would not have. They would have killed her, had they the opportunity. 

 The lesson was learned for sure. The mood changed instantly from joking to somber. I know it may seem unkind to make a statement to my children of that sort, but they MUST understand the evils and the driving forces behind Planned Parenthood. The boys are learning in a very real way through this audio drama and all of the conversations it has sparked that God values ALL life, that He created all life and the color of each persons eyes, hair and skin are gifts, given by a creative and loving God who makes us each different and  beautiful according to His plans. They are learning the TRUTH and while it hurts, it is SO important.

On top of these lessons they are also learning about forgiveness that we can give only through God. There is a part in Corrie's life after she is released from Ravens-brook Concentration camp where she is faced with one of her captures, the boys and I had an amazing discussion about how each of us would handle that kind of situation, would we be able to extend our hand and our forgiveness to one who hurt us so deeply. Caleb instantly said no way, but then we started talking about the biggest hurts that our boys have had... Namely a failed adoption with a woman who deeply hurt our family, hurt Caleb. It took handing it all over to the Lord for Caleb to finally let go of his hurt and not hate her. We talked about how un-forgiveness is like swallowing poison, it only does us harm. 

 Anyway, I just felt like I should share some of the amazing discussions we have had. God gave Corrie Ten Boom a very powerful testimony which I pray will build a great one in my children. God is good, even when circumstances are bad.


What is planned parenthood up to now? Here are just a few samples of their work

Raising funds for Haiti

Teaching Girlscouts



2 comments:

Debbie said...

I am so glad that you recommended this. We also listen to audio books when we travel to the city. With a 30 hour trip ahead of us, I am going to fill our i-pod with audio books from Audible (since I have an account with them). This will be the first one that I download. If you have any other suggestion, I would gladly take them. Also, I did not know that about Planned Parenthood and Girl Scouts. How scary! I am glad that we decided not to continue with Girl Scouts. We chose not to continue because I just saw it as a waste of time and I knew that I could teach my daughter at home with much better values.

Sharmin said...

I saw the movie "The Hiding Place" when I was in elementary school. It really stuck with me. Two summers ago I had a very long, in-depth conversation with my oldest (then almost 12) about the horrors of the Holocaust after visiting the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. He had no idea of the atrocities the Jewish people were subjected to, and I noticed several times him staring at exhibits with tears in his eyes.