This is a VERY picture heavy post, because it is a photo journal of one of our days.
I took over two hundred photos but chose just the ones that best describe our lives to share.
This project started out in my head about a week ago;
I got to thinking that as we are on a waiting list to get our beans evaluated for Autism perhaps it would
be a helpful thing for the evaluators to see what a few different days are like for him (outside of the eval)
I have no idea if it will actually be useful or not,
but I truly found that as I shadowed my kids with a camera today it will certainly be useful for me.
I realized a few places that we need to pray about improving our
schedule but I also found moments that I would have likely overlooked.
Moments to be thankful for!
So enjoy a very VERY honest look at just an average day around our home.
My hope is that in sharing here I can encourage other moms!
8:55am
 |
| Carter J almost always starts out our mornings spending some time with Lydia, he ADORES her. She makes him smile like nobody else can. |
 |
about 10 mins later he's hungry again,
breakfast #2 here |
 |
he NEVER finishes,
2 more uneaten snacks will follow.
often they end up smashed up,
especially if it is crackers
or chips... Don't understand this,
he's done it since he was tiny. |
9:20am
 |
time for some OT, I try to make this time happen
every morning before asking anything of him. |
 |
| the other kids have joined in OT and Lydia is awake, time for smiles and wiggles! |
 |
Something breaking in our house is a daily thing,
this is just because of poor spacial awareness
it is not behavioral. |
 |
| OT is getting a little out of hand... I ask them to calm down. |
 |
| My shadow Mort, He's a good dog! |
9:40am
 |
as I feared, OT without me got to be to much, first meltdown of the day...
Quiet space calmed him pretty fast. |
I want to explain here that when I say meltdown this is not a behavioral tantrum,
this is unresponsive, he isn't looking for any feedback or to be consoled..
In fact if I try he usually escalates. He sits and stares and screams no over and over,
getting what he wants does nothing...
Only quiet spaces bring him back when he gets like this.
 |
| Time to dress the princess and practice some tummy time... I ADORE her! |
 |
Evie asks me to take her portraits
in her new bird shirt. |
 |
| BRRRRR, it snowed last night! |
10:11am
 |
SUCESS! First day this week I got him to get dressed without a battle!
He'd been in PJ's for a while.
I should mention here, it's a "hood up" kind of day.
I can tell when he picks a hood and doesn't
lower it, he is feeling very overwhelmed by
all the input and is over aroused. "High engine" |
 |
| Time to start school, while I get the big kids going, Evie gets to play with an educational toy. |
10:15am
 |
| Caleb's favorite place to work, his bed. |
 |
Let the obsessing about the missing lego guy commence.
This is day 6 of not being able to
let it go that we cannot find it. He CANNOT be redirected...
I give him 5 mins alone
to calm down and then inform him he needs
to come start his school work. |
 |
| Jaden works hard. |
 |
Some days it's better to have a sibling explain math, not sure why just is. He asked for me to go away and for Jaden to help.
He finished his lessons in record time. |
 |
and went right back to obsessing about the lego guy.
Maybe he is on the shelves above the washer.
I spend my life finding him UP HIGH.
Last week he was trying to climb out
an upstairs window onto the roof because
he thought the lego guy might be up there!!! |
It bears mentioning here that we spent a good hour looking for everybody's shoes,
I HATE shoes, they are my nemesis.
 |
Finally in the car and Taye has his first meltdown of the day,
He doesn't do well with transitions and HATES
going into the city because it is so "loud and busy". |
11:47am
 |
Grocery shopping, I've found that giving Carter J a job a REALLY important job makes our trips out much more tolerable.
Holding Lydia makes both him and her happy! We ate lunch in the car. |
 |
SO thankful for my big boys helping get Lydia in and out of the car,
it truly kills my back!
Visiting a friend for her birthday and playing with friends. |
2:54pm
 |
Back home and the hood has come down...
Now he is seeking BIG time.
and continuing to obsess about the lego guy,
now he thinks it's in
the big brother's room. |
 |
| tempers flare. |
 |
| I set Evie up with some books for a quiet time |
 |
Taye and Jaden put away the few groceries I managed to
grab in my confusion of shopping with six,
not because of the kids (they were excellent)
but because people think we are such a sight that they ALL have
to stop and ask me a million questions
and ask if they are ALL mine. |
3:05pm
 |
Taye's engine goes WAY high, he has a meltdown (meaning inconsolable)
I wait for him to become responsive
and I send him to do some serious swinging
and grabbing stuffed animals off the floor while he
swings and then making baskets with them.
GREAT for that Vestibular system. |
 |
| Chore time |
 |
| REALLY struggling, angry and overwhelmed... I step in and work with him doing some swinging and flipping. |
 |
| He calms down and feels better. |
 |
still seeking and chewing on everything... angry at everyone.
Wants to be alone but can't keep himself there. |
 |
| taking a body break all alone for about 10 mins. |
 |
| Jaden helps Evie do her chores and then marks them down on his Ipod for her to show daddy when he gets home. |
 |
| then he plays piano for her. |
 |
| through most of this I've hardly put her down, time for a diaper change and some playtime. |
 |
| back onto the lego guy... I'd pay a hundred dollars for that lego guy now... Seriously!!! |
 |
| My awesome worker finishes up the last of his chores. |
3:39pm
 |
| Now he is sure someone STOLE said lego guy. |
 |
| stimming... I try turning on some classical music... no dice |
 |
I have Jaden feed Lydi this bottle so that I can go give Carter J
some joint compressions and try to help him out. |
 |
| Taye does his chores (by the way, he sweeps EVERY day... I don't get it! Messy people!) |
 |
I'm looking at the clock every few moments now...
getting worn out. |
 |
| He goes into complete shut down and rocks for about 10 minutes, won't answer me and I don't dare touch him. |
 |
| out of pure desperation to sit down I put on a ballet movie for Evie. |
 |
I sit down and look at the spd private
group I'm in for a moment
to remember I'm not the only mom out here doing this.
Caleb reads his Bible on his Ipad |
4:45pm
 |
| His arousal is to low now, he crashes completely. |
 |
| Daddy is home!!! Whew... we survived! |
 |
| time for daddy to check in everyones chores and school work... I love that accountability. |
 |
He storms into the kitchen and starts working,
I think YEAH his arousal is coming back to just right... Wrong... He's just showing us how displeased he is
Walks around inside the sack for about 30 mins. |
5:54pm
 |
| rocking again; no words |
 |
| comes out "just fine" and wants to vacuum to get his star for his chores today. |
 |
| dinner time, notice that most of the meal he stood by the table... upset about something. |
 |
| she is SO stinking cute!!! |
 |
| daddy time! |
6:43pm
 |
| another meltdown |
 |
| after he calms we get him in his body sox |
 |
| works great for about 30 mins |
 |
| stuck on the lego guy again... ALMOST bedtime... |
Now of course this is just a peak into our days,
I didn't do much housework yesterday because I was simply taking pictures.
There is also reading and snuggling and playtimes that I didn't get pictures of because
I was a part of it.
I hope that this gives some understanding
of how the days of a homeschool mom with a couple of special needs kids goes,
no two days is the same honestly. (except the obsessing about something)
Please please, ask me questions,
about anything you saw in today's post...
I would LOVE to answer them in a follow up post.
7 comments:
I just want to say you are not along and by this I feel you have more understanding then I do and I already know our sons dx. <3 hugs
I pray for you and your family daily. I will pray for answers for your Beans and for strategies to cope. Even strong women like you need down time too. You are one of my heroes.
You are an amazing mom to be able to juggle everything so well! I think it is so great that you guys have all of the different therapy tools in your home! Do you get the ideas from your OT and things your kids have already tried with success or do you have another resource for finding different therapy tools like the body sox and the swings? I don't know what my son's SPD will look like down the line - he's only 16 months now - but I am taking mental notes now for OT ideas!
Another question - what did your sons' SPD look like when they were little guys? I haven't been able to find much info on SPD in toddlers because it seems like most people get the diagnosis later so I'm just curious how the experience was for others!
I know it is not the kind of question you are expecting, but... Do you think that a lego guy sent especially for Carter J from all across the ocean would help him let the lost one go? If yes, I would be very happy to send some for him! Just let me know.
I am blown away by your kindness! Wow, I really am not sure if it would END the obsession but it might truly lessen it... He had a good day on Thursday but was right back to it on Friday and still hasn't let it go...
My email is mosey@moseyphotography.com
just an fyi -- if you have the model number of the set that the lego guy came in, lego will send a replacement for free. :) I don't recall if you need the model number or the code on the instruction booklet, but if you have the instruction booklet, you are golden and they'll send it out.
also, the swing/flip/hammock thing in the bedroom --- is it made of body sox? or ??
my 8 yr old is also a mostly sensory seeking boy. LOVED your post on GfG's blog today.
Reader! I just saw your question!
The "cloud" is made out of the same fabric as the body sox, that swim suit fabric. We just bought it at a fabric store and made it ourselves to emulate the much larger one at the boys therapy!
Thanks for stopping by!!
Post a Comment