i

Saturday, October 15, 2011

She took on a grizzly bear! okay.... it was a couch!

Thursday was a BAD day...
No really, one of those days you constantly wish you could just run back to bed and pull the covers back over your head! THEN at the very end of the day around 6:45 or so I got home from eating out with family, "The Boss" was at fencing with our two older boys and it was just me and the 3 kiddos. 
We unloaded from the car and Evie proceeded to walk across the room and just suddenly flop over smashing the corner of her mouth on the front of our couch. (It has a wood trim that goes across the bottom)
Thats it, no running no big drama, just standing there and flopped!
by the time I got to her her entire face was covered in blood (we're talking seconds here)  I snatched a towel out of the clean laundry basked I'd neglected to put away earlier in the day and started mopping up blood.
When I finally came down to her injury I sent Taye for a phone FAST and called our pediatrician (who just happens to be open until 11pm) and told them I was on my way.
there was a GAPING hole at the corner of her mouth. 
Hubby joined me there just before the doctor came in, the doctor was back and forth and couldn't make up his mind if they should send us to a plastic surgeon at the ER or if he could just try to stitch it at his office.  Eventually he decided to stitch it there. So two stitches were inserted into the corner of her mouth. 


The next morning the doctor called EARLY to see how she was doing (I LOVE our doctors office) and he asked if we would please bring Evie back in, he was very worried all night long because he wasn't sure if it was the right call to "only" stitch it.  So at his request we took her back in on his lunch hour since he didn't have any appointments available.


As the day went on the swelling got worse and worse... By the time I got to the doctors office I could hardly keep her hands off of it and it was flaming red. The insides of her lips were black. :( 
Well, this super tough girl got fed up with her stitches and by the time I reached the doctors office he announced with a bit of shock and laughter that she had removed one and untied the other, so he just pulled it completely out, he felt that the cut itself had actually pulled together well enough over night that a plastic surgeon won't be needed but then we discovered that her lips & cheek were infected. 
I'm still shocked at how FAST it happened! 


Evie's day Friday was spent at the doctor, taking antibiotics to get control of the infection
She got to have mommy & daddy all to herself for a park picnic lunch from out and then a shopping trip with mommy at Target for TWO hours, after that she enjoyed lounging in front of some Veggie Tales and being pampered like a queen once her brothers got home!!! 


But never you fear, not even that grizzly bear... Errrr. ummmm, Couch can keep an Evie down!
She is BACK full force today!


It's been our joke that she tangled with a grizzly, and boy you should see the grizzly bear! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!! You weren't kidding when you said that was a bad day! I'm so thankful that little Evie is so resilient and is feeling better because that is quite a gash she's sporting! So did the infection come because she was picking at it or was she picking at it because it became infected? Either way, scary & sad. Praying for healing and no scarring. I hope you have a better week coming up!

csillag said...

Give all your worries to him, because he cares about you. I Peter 5:7

(http://www.maxlucado.com/articles/daily/he_cares)