i

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Project complete

One of the great battles of our day and age I think is the television... 
It tends to be this item in the home that draws our attention away from the things that truly matter.
For the longest time we didn't even have one that worked,
I was okay with that. 

But we did eventually get it fixed and a few months ago I realized it had become quite an issue 
in our home. The kids were constantly asking to watch it, and the younger ones throwing
tantrums when I would say no. 
I was finding myself drawn to the ease of allowing movies to play and not even realizing that more 
than an hour had passed of them staring at cartoons. 

A problem had been re-established in our home
The Television.

After a great deal of prayer and thinking it all through I brought the idea of an "in home theater" 
to my family, hubby included and all agreed that moving the tv out of our living room 
where it was the focal point (all furniture arranged around that little idol box) UGH

First on the tour, the newly refocused living area... 
(my computer is in the corner of this room still) 





I have worked very hard to pull our living area into a space that promotes fellowship and learning...
Focal points being wood stove, books and piano



Because we're doing a home tour, I thought I'd also show off the reorganized kitchen.
Since 3 of the boys are now using switched on schoolhouse I have much less "curriculum" 
that needs to be easily gotten. 
I was able to change out the cabinet that was in the kitchen for a much smaller one that 
has solid doors to conceal the clutter of all the supplies we need for school... 
SO much better! The other was driving me out of my mind.



(FYI, Evie made that schedule, oh my goodness! I could never do that much in a day!) 


We FINALLY have enough hooks for everyone's coats!! 


and now, the newly finished upstairs "theater" 


This is taken from the far side of our loft looking towards our "theater" 
Hubby even ran neat lighting along the floor (can't see it in the pictures, but it is COOL!) 


Can you tell we are Lord of the Rings fans?! haha...

We hung black fabric behind the tv for theater effect


and you know what is really awesome
Each of my kids donated $100.00 of their own birthday money to buy a couch so that 
our entire family could be seated comfortably!
They are awesome kids, seriously!!!


soon I will explain our new "movie ticket" 
policy which we are working on getting set up.
No more just staring at the tv, they have to earn their movie time...


Our next projects may or may not include
 carpet, a new mattress, new walls, a light fixture even wood flooring?? 

Who knows for sure! 

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I LOVE this idea! Way to think outside the "box". ;)

PrincessR said...

I LOVE this!!! What a great way to limit TV without making it an awful thing. Instead you have made it more of a "fun" thing that will be treasured and thus used less. :) Love, love, love it! (Thinking of how we could do that at our house....)

PLEASE post on how you do the tickets and how it works. :D