i

Saturday, February 6, 2010

My hero

I am VERY very thankful for our Caleb, for our firstborn son.  Just the other night we were discussing with our kids why they thought that the Lord made Caleb the firstborn, the oldest in the family. The answer we got from most everyone was that he was to be a leader and a protecter.


 Last night, our Caleb shined like a STAR! And today he is my hero.  I'm going to work hard not to cry while I write this post.  We went to visit with some friends last night and because of snow and ice had to park quite a ways away, no big deal we're mountain folk!

 As we got out of the car we had several things to carry so we asked Caleb to take Carter J's hand and lead him up the driveway.  Because it was dark, they sort of missed the driveway.

 All of the sudden (we were right behind our kids) we heard Carter J scream and Caleb started yelling for help and saying "he's gone, he's in the hole but I've got him."  Hubby rushed to them to find that Caleb was just lifting Carter J out of a manhole. When Carter had stepped on the lid it flipped open and he fell in, but because Caleb was doing his job of being the older brother, he was holding on to Carter J and protecting him. He didn't let go at all and was able to save Carter J from falling all the way into the hole. (about 7ft deep we discovered later when hubby got a flashlight in order to rescue Carter J's favorite shoes that fell off of his feet when he fell)

 I just keep looking at my Caleb today and feel so blessed to have such an amazing son. He has always taken very seriously his role of the firstborn, he has always watched out for his younger siblings and last night that paid off huge!  I imagine that if Carter J had fallen all the way he would have been seriously hurt.

 So, In honor of my firstborn son I thought to share my two most favorite pictures ever taken of Caleb and Carter J together... They are both old pictures but they both just show the incredible bond these two boys of mine have!

 I just had to add, I just called Caleb in to tell him just how proud of him I was. His response. "Thank you mommy, but it's you and daddy that trained me this way"

3 comments:

Tammie said...

Fine... make this grandma get all sniffly. :p

I'm SO proud of Caleb. He's one of my favorite hero's, too! Love you, Caleb!

Kisses and snuggles to CarterJ. Watch out for those holes, little one!

Unknown said...

"Her children rise up and call her blessed!"
:D

What a lovely story of manly bravery at such a tender age!

Tami M said...

Great job, Caleb! So glad Carter J's okay.